Hot water in the bath house!

The Scorup property we all live on in Bluff has a groovy detached bath house to supplement the showers in the main house.

It has also become the de facto bike storage and maintenance shop. The only thing missing was some hot water for the pipes (not that we need it right now). Brett and I spent a day at the beginning of our 1st session in Bluff cobbling together a direct-gain solar thermal hot water system out of material we had laying around the site. A black steel tank (the remnants of an old hot water heater, i think) serves as both storage and collector. We built a plywood box around the tank, with glazing on the south facing side. The box is lined with tin foil to help reflect as much radiation to the black tank. The plywood box is wrapped in straw bales to help insulate the whole system. As temperatures begin to drop this fall, we may come up with an insulative cover for the glazing, to be used during the night to prevent excess heat loss. We plumbed the tank directly into the hot water main in the bath house. Cold water goes from the bath house to the black tank. It is then heated and stored in the tank until it is needed inside.

-Jay

Shop bifolding doors

These simple bifold doors are not as simple as they look.  They consist of welded steel metal frames with Mono-Pan inserts. They pivot in the centers and are easily moved from one side to the other. Everyone has been spending hours working on these doors for the shop. From the building of the frames, deciding on how to hook them to the track, the logistics of the locking mechanism into the floor, and multiple handle designs have made it a tremendous group effort. Being led by our fearless leader Atsushi, this has been an on going effort since finishing the residences and will continue till all 6 door openings are filled.

Carpet tiles of varying color

We’re one intimidating crew.. sadly Casey and I had to leave. Thank you DesignBuildBluff!

Carpet tiles of varying color stacked in the wall for some insulation


We cut the door out then put it back on a track
We used donated translucent 3 form panels on the ceilings of the containers
The baltic birch on the walls is turning out very nice

We spent a week in Salt lake doing a little prefabrication. Jyana is making a little 3-form detail for the electrical.
We cut over one hundred strips of aluminum to create the caps for the roof on the Bath House and would like to give a big thanks to Sean who runs the Art shop at the U for letting us poach his 4′ sheet metal break. We couldn’t have done it with out you.
We also prefabricated our sliding doors at the Arch shop, being a shop tech has its benefits. The Machine shop at the U donated the labor to help roll the steel for our curved doors. The final product turned out perfect. Thanks for helping us get things done right.
Jyana is gluing up the the concrete forms for the sills. The first batch has just come out. Pictures to come soon.
A piece of scaffolding that has been leveled and we now have enough sand, gravel and concrete to make the sills.
This is our home made bender in action. The biggest shingle we needed to bend for the roof measures almost 4′x9′.The bender went through many modifications during the construction process and was made entirely of salvaged material. The prefab caps fit perfectly. The roof is almost done just a gutter and a few more caps.One last wall in the project. It is turning out great.

We were fortunate enough to witness and survive an amazing lightning storm Tuesday evening down here in Bluff. This shot was taken by Brad.
This one was captured by Casey up in the cemetary in Bluff.

Our exterior is almost complete

Casey warning treeptop of the impending storm

Half of the roof captured 5 gallons of water in 50 seconds… now we just need something to put it in.
It rained pretty hard


Running the electrical conduit for the Bathhouse

adaptive reuse
The roof of the residence
almost complete

This is our first window design. We need to make some modifications to get a better seal and efficent operation for opening and closing.
This is an exterior view showing the lean of the window hanging. This can be corrected by altering the hinge placement or adjusting the head and sill for a better seal.
We have interior walls and rough plumbing. The venting has been installed along the ceiling out under the eaves to minimize its presence on the roof line.

Today we finished up the shop roof. Thank you Big D construction for helping us out with the excellent roofing materials.





More pictures from Bluff…
starting to see the roof panels come together…

sills ready for windows…

rolling, rolling, rolling…

framing more curvy walls…

In the past few weeks we have been working on the roof, interior walls and sills for the windows. Things have been moving right along…
Interior walls getting started for electrical and plumbing…

work station in the shade…

This roof is going to be hot!!…